Friday, October 12, 2018

Lesson 2 - Character and Voice


September 28, 2018








Building off last weeks lesson, this week we continued building an actor's toolbox with voice and character. We began with a rhythmic activity to warm up our bodies and voices. Then, we reviewed the vocabulary of last week: actor, body, imagination, and creativity.

When I introduced voice, I focused on two aspects of voice: projection and diction. I helped them practice saying the words and then practice using them by saying sentences like, "Hello Mr. A" or "Today is Friday!"
Next we learned about character and how an actor uses their body and voice to show character. To practice this, I borrowed an activity created by Julia Ashworth. This activity invited students to become polar bears. "Bear in There" by Shel Silverstein was used to encourage students to explore different character choices.

The most successful part of the lesson was when I went around and interacted with each "polar bear." The student LOVED roaring and me and doing a short improvisation with me. Their enthusiasm and spectacular focus and determination informed me that they understood character and using their imagination.







I concluded the activity by asking how they felt being a polar bear. I also asked them how they used their imaginations and why imaginations are important.


I learned to be adaptable from this lesson. I had less time than I expected, and I was in a new location. I also learned how to kindly invite shy or quiet students to participate. 



No comments:

Post a Comment

Lessons 5-10

The rest of my Arts Bridge experience was full of learning and growth. The lessons focused first on community and then puppetry and social s...